Monday, December 13, 2010

Playroom Progress

I've made a lot of progress on Little's playroom, which is actually going to double as a sewing room for me. I wish I had remembered to take before pictures, but you can just imagine. Before the room had a couch, a wine cabinet, and an end table. That's it. Now, the room is full of life! There will still be a few changes, here and there, but here are some pictures of the room so far:
The huge chair will eventually be taken out of the room and will be replaced with a little table and chairs that my Granddad made for me when I was Amara's age.
Here is a bit of homemade wall art. The round pieces are made with embroidery hoops. Before you start thinking I'm so creative, it was not my idea. I'll give credit where credit is due. I definitely stole this idea from the good ole Internet. hehe. I did put my own twist on it, though, by adding the ribbon and hanging it from the line as shown above. The bears were just unfinished wood ornaments that I bought at Michael's and painted.
This desk was mine growing up and will now be used as my sewing station. I can't wait to start making Amara some cute dresses. My mom is a very talented seamstress and made a lot of my clothes all the way up to 5th grade. I am definitely counting on her to teach me how to sew. She has already made several dresses for Amara and has done some amazing smock work.
These are the storage shelves that I put together (yes, that is correct, "I" put them together), and they are filled with lots of special things already. The birdhouse at the top was made for me by one of the Senior Adults at my church growing up. The canvas at the top was painted by a special friend, Jenny, and was given to me for being a hostess at her baby shower. The doll in the middle is Little's very first doll and was brought all the way from Peru by my dad. The books are also very special for several reasons. I really love to read to Little. It's such a special time as she sits so still in my lap and turns the pages for me. Sometimes she'll even start to read the book to me, in her own language of course. We probably read about 6 books per day, usually a couple before each naptime. Today, we received a most wonderful surprise in the mail. Daniel, who is Frank's brother and Amara's uncle (and also lives in Taiwan), sent her some books in the mail for Christmas. We were so excited to get them, especially since we've been reading the same ones over and over again. We'll get started on the new ones tomorrow!

Love to all...

2 comments:

  1. The playroom looks great! I've loved de-babying our living room and playing in Isaac's playroom instead. Isaac and I will have to come see it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it took me a minute to figure out where that room was - it looks totally different! And it looks fun too!
    I can't believe those books got there so fast - I hope she likes them! Merry Christmas Amara!

    ReplyDelete