Thursday, July 28, 2011

Boston Cream Pie...Oh My!

Frank's favorite dessert is homemade apple pie...or so I thought. When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday cake, I asked him if he would even eat whatever I made because he's been on a work-out/diet routine. He said there was only one kind of dessert that would make him crash his diet...Boston Cream Pie. I had no clue what he was talking about, but from what he described, it did not sound good. Nevertheless, I began a search for a recipe. Some were way too complicated. Some were way too easy. But I found one that was just right. And let me tell you...it is delectable! I even impressed myself with this one. So, I thought I'd share the goodness. This recipe was found online at a Paula Deen forum, and then I changed it up just a bit.

First, I'll let you know that I spared no expense on the fat content of this cake. Normally I would use 1% milk and light sour cream, but NOT this time! I used whole milk and regular sour cream. And wait until you see the rest of the ingredients. This dessert is rich! One thing I really liked about this recipe is that the actual "cake" part of the dessert is a cake mix. I did not want to have to make a cake from scratch. And with all the other richness of the dessert, you seriously cannot tell that the cake is not made from scratch. Trust me. Or just come by and taste a piece of Frank's birthday cake.

There are three parts to the cake.

Step one: First part is the yellow cake. Use 1 box of yellow cake mix and prepare according to the directions on the box for a round cake. FYI: You only need one layer, so you can either make something else with the rest or throw it away. The only change I made to the box directions is that I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil in my batter. When your cake is done baking, cool completely.

Step two: The chocolate ganache topping. This is good to make as soon as you put your cake in the oven because after you make the chocolate topping, you have to put it in the fridge to cool.

Ingredients:

6 1oz squares of Baker's unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups confectioners sugar

Use a double boiler and melt the chocolate and the cream together. I do not own a double boiler, but you can see in the picture that you can easily make one yourself by putting a glass mixing bowl in a saucepan. Be sure to stir regularly so as not to burn the chocolate.
Once the mixture is smooth whisk in the sugar and keep whisking until it is smooth.
Put the ganache in the fridge and let it cool until it is a spreadable consistency or about 30 minutes.
Step 3: The filling

1 small box of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions:

In a large bowl mix together the pudding, cream, confectioners’ sugar, milk, and sour cream.
Beat at medium speed until stiff peaks form - should be the consistency of thick pudding.

Once your cake is cooled, you are ready to assemble. Cut the cake in half. The best way to do this evenly is to first make a 2 inch cut around the outer edge of the cake. Then you can cut all the way through. I used a fish filet knife because of how long and sharp it was, and it worked perfectly! Slide the top layer onto another plate so you can put the filling on the bottom layer. Then, slide the top layer back on. By this time, your ganache should be ready to spread over the top.

Word of advice...this dessert is too rich to have with a glass of milk. I'd stick with water! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment