Monday, January 23, 2012

Not Another Glucose Test!!!

Warning...this post is just a ramble. No pics, nothing fun, just thoughts.

When I was pregnant with Amara, I failed my initial glucose test (to test for gestational diabetes) by just a couple of points. If you aren't familiar with this test, you basically don't eat anything after dinner the night before the test, and then the next morning you drink this awful sugary drink (given to you by the doctor) and then they take your blood an hour later. Because I failed, this meant that I had to go back and take another test where I'd drink another sugary drink (with twice the amount of sugar of the first one) and have to get my blood taken every hour for 3 hours. They assured me at the doctor that because my numbers were so low, they were SURE I would pass the second test. So, what is the point, then? Anyways, I did it and of course I passed and all was fine.

So, with this pregnancy, I was determined to pass the first time. I even "prepared" for a couple of days prior by limiting my sugar and carbs. So, I went to take my initial test and guess what...I failed by a measly 8 points. I was SO upset! And my pregnancy hormones had me in tears, right there in the doctor's office. Again, I was assured that because my numbers were so low, I'd pass the 3 hour test. But that doesn't make it any better that I have to use a whole morning of my time (and time away from my precious Little) to get my blood drawn 4 times. Anyway, I had my 3 hour test this morning and am just hoping and praying that I've passed.

At the test, the lab tech even told me how common it is that people fail the first test and pass the second. She said a lot of doctors have even started doing a 2 hour test initially in order to hopefully get a more accurate result the first time.

Though it is a pain to go through, I will do anything necessary to protect my sweet baby Lincoln. We are so excited for his arrival and are so anxious to see Little with him. She has been so sweet to care for babies lately, and we know she's going to be a great big sister. We actually finished his nursery this weekend, so hopefully I'll take some pictures today and have a more positive post later.

And my ramble is over...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment