Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Our Announcement...why I've been away

I've been gone for awhile...not from home but from the computer. Some of you may have already heard our announcement, and Little Pea was happy to share with the world that she is going to be a big sister. We actually found out on my birthday, the day after my surprise birthday party. We are so excited to be welcoming another addition to our little family.

The pregnancy, though, has come with many obstacles to this point. Because I'm pregnant, I cannot treat my rheumatoid arthritis. If you understand RA at all, you understand that to be unable to treat it is SERIOUS stuff. I have basically been incapacitated for the past month or so since we found out that I'm pregnant. Most of the time, I can't do anything that a normal person can do. For example, I can barely walk, can only stand for very short periods of time without getting winded or passing out, can't do much of anything that requires any amount of strength (squeezing toothpaste, opening sippy cups, twisting the milk carton top, etc.) With a toddler, this is very difficult. Thankfully I have a WONDERFUL mother who has sacrificed her time for us and comes over every morning to take care of my sweet child and to make sure that I am also taken care of. She has been selfless, and to say that I'm thankful just doesn't even seem like enough. Also, my sweet husband has been amazing beyond words. Not only does he get Little Pea up in the mornings to pass her off to my mom, but then he goes to work, comes home and does laundry and cleans, makes sure we're fed (which isn't easy with my pregnancy appetite) and does basically anything that needs to be done.

The good news about my RA is...everything should be getting better very soon. As soon as the first trimester is over, my RA symptoms are supposed to pretty much "go away" for the remainder of the pregnancy. There are so many things that are truly amazing about how a woman's body works, and this is just another one of those things. Most people that have auto-immune diseases experience a relief of symptoms during pregnancy. Since I'm 9 weeks now, I'm hoping that relief is just around the corner. And I know Frank and my mom will be glad for that day to come, too.

In the meantime, please pray for us. Continue to pray for complete healing of my RA. Pray for this sweet baby that is growing inside of me. And pray for my family that is having to pick up the slack while I'm down and out. We are so thankful and blessed and can't wait to meet our sweet little one. Getting there is a challenge, but we know it'll be worth it in a few short months.

2 comments:

  1. I know I've told you before, but I'll tell you again - my mother in law has had ZERO RA symptoms for 6 or 7 years now! I am praying for your healing as well, Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be praying for you! Since I have very difficult pregnancies, thanks to hyperemesis, I and my family know exactly what it is like to have the pregnant mommy incapacitated. I spent about 4 months of my pregnancy with Mason in bed with IV's and barely able to function, much less take care of my 2 year old. Isn't it such a blessing to have family who can help? Praying you get some relief soon!!!

    ReplyDelete