Monday, November 29, 2010

Movies, Movies, Movies...

I am truly a homebody, so I LOVE to rent movies and watch them in the comfort of my own home. There is just no place like home. At home unlike the theater, I don't have to deal with anyone trying to talk through the movie that I just paid an insane amount to see. And don't get me started on people kicking my chair or shaking their leg for the whole row to feel. Also, I am one of those patrons that feels like you should support the theater by purchasing "their" food and drinks (not bringing it in your purse). And since I don't agree with how much my Dr. Pepper and box of Junior Mints cost, I don't have to worry about this inner conflict when I'm at home. I have my choice of a whole kitchen full of food and drinks and even a sweet Cocker Spaniel to cuddle with.

What makes a movie awesome? Well, there are certain films that initially you MUST see on the Big Screen (and then rent for subsequent showings). Comedies don't generally fall into this category. Usually these movies are thrillers, big action films, and sometimes other types. This classification is more for movies like Inception, Harry Potter, Ironman, Batman, you get the idea....seriously AWESOME movies. But those aren't movies that you can watch over and over again. Once you know how it ends, you have to wait a certain amount of time before the desire to watch comes back. You might continue to talk about how awesome the movie is and tell everybody you know to see it, but it still doesn't change the fact that you know the ending and need some space.

Actually, there are very few movies that I could watch over and over again. These are generally those movies that I love to quote or that just make me smile to even think about. Off the top of my head, without even thinking about it, I can confidently list these:
So I Married an Axe Murderer
Anchorman
Dirty Dancing
Pretty Woman
Steel Magnolias
Office Space
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Love Actually

Here is Frank's list:
Last of the Mohicans
Aliens
Empire Strikes Back
Spider Man 2
Love Actually
Anchorman
Braveheart
300
Underworld
(Wow, we are very different. At least we had 2 in common.)

Keep in mind that this list isn't all inclusive of what we think are the best movies of all time. These are just those that we could watch every single day if they were on and not get tired of them.

Oh, and I must say that I am not a big fan of chick flicks (with the exception of the 3 listed above). There are very few that I would consider to be good movies. Most chick flicks fall into the "okay" rating and should be saved for renting.

Frank would like me to add this disclaimer to my post: I fall asleep during most movies that we watch at home. And my response to that is: If the movie is good, my interest will keep me awake to the very end. However, if the movie isn't worth losing sleep over, I'm happy to take a nice nap while he watches. What's wrong with that?

1 comment:

  1. One of Big A's faves is Last of the Mohicans too. Always thought he was weird for that. Now I think he's even weirder because Frank likes it too.

    ReplyDelete